|ANTHONY, Laurence (アントニ ローレンス)
Professor of the Center for the English Language Education in Science and Engineering (CELESE)
Link to web site
|Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics||Univ. of Birmingham, 2002|
|M.A. (Distinction) in TESL/TEFL||Univ. of Birmingham, 1997|
|B.Sc. in Mathematical Physics||Univ. of Manchester, 1991|
Research Areas and Interests
My main research interests are in educational technology, corpus linguistics, and natural language processing. Continuing from my Masters work in genre analysis, I developed software to automatically analyze texts at the sentence and discourse level for my PhD. Since then, I have been developing educational software for use by researchers, teachers, and learners in corpus linguistics, including AntConc, a freeware concordancer, AntWordProfiler, a freeware vocabulary profiler, and more recently web-based monolingual and parallel concordancers.
I also work with several Japanese companies in the development of commercial software applications, and as a consultant on various aspects of technical writing and presentation.
Courses Taught at CELESE in 2015
- Advanced Technical Reading and Writing. Graduate School of Science and Engineering
- Advanced Technical Presentation. Graduate School of Science and Engineering
- Technical Writing. Undergraduate School of Science and Engineering
Responsibilties at CELESE in 2015
- Program Coordinator
- Course Coordinator (Undergradate): Technical Writing, Technical Presentation, Special Topics in Functional English
- Course Coordinator (Graduate): Advanced Technical Reading and Writing, Advanced Technical Presentation, Professional Communication, Workplace English
Research Activities and Outputs in 2015
Books and Book Chapters
- Nation, P. & Anthony, L. (2016 - forthcoming). Measuring vocabulary size. In Handbook of Research in Second Language Teaching and Learning, Volume III, E. Hinkel (Ed.) New York: Routledge.
Plenary Speeches and Keynote Addresses
- Anthony, L. (2016, March). Tailoring corpus tools for academia and the language industry: A developer's perspective. Keynote lecture given at the 8th International Conference on Corpus Linguistics (CILC 2016), Málaga, Spain.
- Anthony, L. (2016, February). Arguments for and against DIY corpus tools creation: A debate about programming. Keynote lecture given at the Corpus Statistics Group Launch Event, Department of English Language and Applied Linguistics, University of Birmingham, UK.
- Anthony, L. (2015, October). Journeying among the disciplines in language consulting: A personal account. Plenary speech given at the Mediterranean Editors and Translators Meeting 2015, Faculty of Arts and Humanities, University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal.
- Anthony, L. (2015, October). Novel approaches to the teaching and learning of Japanese using corpus linguistics tools and techniques. Plenary speech given at the Construction of Digital Resources for Learning Japanese Workshop, Department of Interpretation and Translation (DIT), University of Bologna, Italy.
- Anthony, L. (2015, October). Selecting Prototypical Texts for Close Reading with Applications in Professional Communication and English for Specific Purposes Research and Teaching. Keynote speech given at The 2015 International Symposium on English for Professional Communication and Instructional Technology, National Kaohsiung University of Applied Sciences, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
- Anthony, L. (2015, May). Applications of Corpus Linguistics in Language Materials Design and In-Class Teaching and Learning. Distinguished Lecture Series given at Temple University Japan, Tokyo/Osaka, Japan.
- Anthony, L. (2015, May). Preparing Students for the Professions: Lessons learned from ESP and CLIL teaching approaches. Keynote speech given at the 2015 International Forum on Applied Foreign Languages, National Kaohsiung University of Hospitality and Tourism, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
Journal Papers and Conference Proceedings
- Anthony, L. & Baker, P. (2015). ProtAnt: A tool for analysing the prototypicality of texts. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, 20(3), 273-292. DOI: 10.1075/ijcl.20.3.01ant.
- Anthony, L. (2015). The Changing Role and Importance of ESP in Asia. English as a Global Language Education (EaGLE) Journal, 1(1), 1-23.
- Anthony, L. & Baker, P. (2015, July). ProtAnt: A Freeware Tool for Automated Prototypical Text Detection. In F. Formato and A. Hardie (Eds). Proceedings of Corpus Linguistics 2015 (pp. 24-26). Lancaster, UK: Lancaster University.
Conference Presentations (without proceedings)
- Anthony, L. (2015, October). Masterclass on AntConc: Advanced Concordancing and Other Language Analysis Techniques. Workshop given at the Mediterranean Editors and Translators Meeting 2015, Faculty of Arts and Humanities, University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal.
- Anthony, L. (2015, September). Applications of AntLab Tools in Asian Language Translation Tasks. Paper presented at the Tokyo Interest Group in Translation and Translation Process Research, National Institute of Informatics, September 15, 2015, Tokyo, Japan.
- Anthony, L. Wattam, S, Coole, M., Mariani, J., Rayson, P, Vidler, J. (2015, July). Brainstorming the next generation of corpus software. Workshop given at Corpus Linguistics 2015 (CL 2015), Lancaster University, July 20, 2015, Lancaster, UK.
Invited Seminars and Intensive Courses
- Anthony, L. & Hardaker, C. (2016, March) Applications of FireAnt in forensic (corpus) linguistics: Identifying angels at Ashley Madison. Invited lecture given at UCREL corpus research group, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK.
- Anthony, L. & Michel, M. (2016, March). Introducing EyeChat: A data collection tool for eye-tracking computer mediated communication. Invited lecture given at UCREL corpus research group, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK.
- Anthony, L. (2016, February). Developing materials for the EFL classroom through model building and corpus analysis. Invited lecture given at Second Language Learning and Teaching (SLLAT) Research Group, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK.
- Anthony, L. & Hardaker, C. (2016, February). FireAnt Launch Event: Filtering, Identifying, Reporting, and Exporting Social Media Data, ESRC Centre for Corpus Approaches to Social Science, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK.
- Anthony, L. (2015, September). 企業技術者に必要な英語力 [Mitsubishi Electric Corporation Summer Seminar on Scientific and Engineering Communication]. Invited seminar given at Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Kobe, Japan.
- Anthony, L. (2015, May). Applications of Corpus Linguistics in ESP Research: A Practical Guide. Invited workshop given at the 2015 International Forum on Applied Foreign Languages, National Kaohsiung University of Hospitality and Tourism, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
- Anthony, L. (2015, April). 技術者・研究者のための英語プレゼンテーションの基本と実践 [English Presentation Principles and Applications for Engineers and Researchers] (Hosted by the Technical Information Center). A one-day intensive seminar introducing the basic skills and strategies for effective presentations in English.
- Anthony, L. (2015, March). New Directions in Corpus Design, Tool Development, and Researcher Interaction. Invited lecture given at The University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK.
- Anthony, L. (2015, March). Analyzing Corpora with AntConc: From Basics to Best Practices. Invited workshop given at The University of Cardiff, Cardiff, UK.
- Anthony, L. (2015, February). New Developments in Corpus Tools for Data Collection, Analysis, and Visualization. Invited lecture given at The University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK.
- Anthony, L. (2015, February). Creating a Picture Vocabulary Size Test for Young Learners. Invited lecture given at The University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK.
- Anthony, L. (2015, February). Corpus Tools: Past, Present, and Future. Ertegun lecture lecture given at The University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.
- Anthony, L. (2015, February). A Hands-On Introduction to AntConc: Working with DIY corpora. Invited lecture for the The University of Oxford, IT Services, Corpus Linguistics course given at Oxford University, Oxford, UK.
- Anthony, L. and Baker, P. (2015, January). Automated prototypical text detection for corpus and critical discourse studies using KeyAnt. UCREL Corpus Research Seminar given at Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK.
Society Journal Activities
- Editorial Board of the Corpus Linguistics Research Journal (KACL) (2015-Present)
- Editorial Board of Taiwan International ESP Journal (2010-Present)
- Editorial Board of Journal of English Education (2012-Present)
- Editorial Board of Journal of Asia TEFL (2015-Present)
- Advisory Board of English as a Global Language Education (EaGLE) Journal (2013-Present)
- Advisory Board of JACET Awards and Publications Committee (2015-Present)
- Review Board of the National Research Foundation of South Africa (2015-Present)
- Guest Editor of English for Specific Purposes Journal (Elsevier) (2011-2013)
Membership in Professional Associations/Societies
- Japan Association for English Corpus Studies (JAECS)
- Japan Association of College English Teachers (JACET)
- Applied Linguistics
- Australian Review of Applied Linguistics
- International Journal of Corpus Linguistics
- Corpus Linguistics and Linguistic Theory
- Elsevier English for Specific Purposes
- Elsevier English for Academic Purposes
- Sage Journal of Information Science
- Reading in a Foreign Language
- Taiwan International ESP Journal
- IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication
- IEEE Computer Society
- IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics - Part B
Advisory Roles/Contract Research
- Data-driven Learning in Research Publication for Research Students. City University of Hong Kong. (2015-2016)
- National Research Foundation of South Africa (NRF). (2015)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC). (2015)
- Ph.D. Dissertation External Examiner. Temple University. (2015)
- Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology (Japan). External personnel advisor. (2010-2015)
- ALC Press (Japan). Technical consultant, distance learning course designer, and materials developer. (2008-present)
- Kose Corporation (Japan). Technical advisor. (2006-present)
- JIEM, Inc. (Japan). System for automatic scoring and correcting of English writing (2004-present)
- The Queen's Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education (February 2016). Awarded to Lancaster University Centre for Corpus Approaches to Social Science (CASS).
- National Prize of the Japan Association of English Corpus Studies (英語コーパス学会 学会賞) (September 2012)
- L'Oreal Art and Science of Color Gold Prize (October 2005)
- Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B): No. 25284108. Development and Application of a DDL Platform for Multi-Language Parallel Corpora. CHUJO, Kiyomi, ANTHONY, Laurence. (2013-2017)
- AntConc: A freeware corpus analysis toolkit for concordancing and text analysis
- AntPConc: A freeware **parallel** corpus analysis toolkit for concordancing and text analysis.
- AntWordProfiler: A freeware word profiling program similar to Paul Nation's Range program but with more features.
- AntFileConverter: A freeware tool to convert PDF files into plain text for use in corpus tools like AntConc.
- AntMover: A freeware text structure (moves) analysis program.
- AntCLAWSGUI: A front-end interface to the CLAWS tagger developed at Lancaster University, UCREL.
- EncodeAnt: A freeware tool for detecting and converting character encodings.
- FireAnt: A freeware social media and data analysis toolkit.
- ProtAnt: A freeware text prototypicality analysis tool.
- SarAnt: A freeware batch search and replace tool.
- SegmentAnt: A freeware Japanese and Chinese segmenter (segmentation/tokenizing tool).
- TagAnt: A freeware Part-Of-Speech (POS) tagger built on TreeTagger (developed by Helmut Schmid).
- VariAnt: A freeware spelling VariAnt analysis program.
- WebParaNews: A web-based interface to the Japanese-English News Articles database of the National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT).
- ENEJE: A web-based interface to the ENEJE (English Native Edited Japanese Essays) Parallel Corpus.
- EXEMPRAES: A web-based interface to the EXEMPRAES (Exemplary Empirical Research Articles in English and Spanish) Corpus.
- CASEC G/GTS: A (commercial) learning environment for teaching grammar and vocabulary to EFL learners in Japan.
- ALC Text Toolkit: A concordance tool for assisting EFL learners in Japan with technical writing (distributed in an associated textbook.
- Japan: Measurement and Tool for the Evaluation of Compositions. (Patent Number: 4165898)
- Korea: Measurement and Tool for the Evaluation of Compositions. (Patent Number: 10-0932141)