|ANTHONY, Laurence (アントニ ローレンス)
Professor of the Center for the English Language Education in Science and Engineering (CELESE)
Link to web site
|Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics||Univ. of Birmingham, 2002|
|M.A. (Distinction) in TESL/TEFL||Univ. of Birmingham, 1997|
|B.Sc. in Mathematical Physics||Univ. of Manchester, 1991|
Research Areas and Interests
My main research interests are in educational technology, corpus linguistics, and natural language processing. Continuing from my Masters work in genre analysis, I developed software to automatically analyze texts at the sentence and discourse level for my PhD. Since then, I have been developing educational software for use by researchers, teachers, and learners in corpus linguistics, including AntConc, a freeware concordancer, AntWordProfiler, a freeware vocabulary profiler, and more recently web-based monolingual and parallel concordancers. I also work with several Japanese companies in the development of commercial software applications, and as a consultant on various aspects of technical writing and presentation.
Main Courses Taught in 2016
- Advanced Technical Reading and Writing. Graduate Schools of Science and Engineering
- Advanced Technical Presentation. Graduate Schools of Science and Engineering
- Special Topics in Functional English. Undergraduate Schools of Science and Engineering
Main Responsibilities in 2016/2017
- Program Coordinator
- Course Coordinator (Undergraduate): Technical Writing, Technical Presentation, Special Topics in Functional English
- Course Coordinator (Graduate): Advanced Technical Reading and Writing, Advanced Technical Presentation, Professional Communication, Workplace English
Research Activities and Outputs in 2016/2017
Books and Book Chapters
- Anthony, L. (in press). Reflections and future directions in publishing research in English as an Additional Language: An Afterword, in M. Cargill and S. Burgess (Eds.) Publishing Research in English as an Additional Language: Practices, Pathways and Potentials. Adelaide, Australia: University of Adelaide Press.
- Nation, P. & Anthony, L. (2017). Measuring vocabulary size. In E. Hinkel (Ed.), Handbook of Research in Second Language Teaching and Learning, Volume III (pp. 355-368). New York: Routledge.
- Anthony, L. (2016). Introducing corpora and corpus tools into the technical writing classroom through Data-Driven Learning (DDL) in J. Flowerdew and T. Costley (Eds) Discipline Specific Writing (pp. 162-180). Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
Plenary Speeches and Keynote Addresses
- Anthony, L. (2016, October). New directions in corpus linguistics: Utilizing the rich annotations found in social media data. Plenary speech given at the 42nd Annual Convention of the Japan Association for Corpus English Studies (JAECS), Seijo University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Anthony, L. (2016, September). ESP informed Content-Based Learning: Suggestions for Keeping the Language in Learning. Plenary speech given at the 2016 JALT CUE Conference, Kindai University, Higashi-Osaka City, Japan.
- Anthony, L. (2016, August). Prototypicality in ESP: Selection, analysis, and visualization of model texts for use in ESP research and teaching. Plenary speech given at the ESP in Asia 2016: Frontier and Advancement international conference, University of Electro-Communications, Tokyo, Japan.
- Anthony, L. (2016, March). Tailoring corpus tools for academia and the language industry: A developer's perspective. Keynote lecture given at the 8th International Conference on Corpus Linguistics (CILC 2016), Málaga, Spain.
- Anthony, L. (2016, March). Arguments for and against DIY corpus tools creation: A debate about programming. Keynote lecture given at the Corpus Statistics Group Launch Event, Department of English Language and Applied Linguistics, University of Birmingham, UK.
Journal Papers and Conference Proceedings
- Anthony, L. (2016). Looking From the Past to the Future in ESP Through a Corpus-Based Analysis of English for Specific Purposes Journal Titles. English Teaching and Learning, 40 (4), 91-107. DOI: 10.6330/ETL.2016.40.4.04.
- Knight, D., Morris, S., Fitzpatrick, T. and Anthony, L. (2016, September). Charting the Vocabulary of a Minoritised language: Challenges and Opportunities in the Creation and Application of the National Corpus of Contemporary Welsh. Colloquium given at Vocab@Tokyo 2016, Meiji Gakuin University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Nation, P. and Anthony, L. (2016, September). The Picture Vocabulary Size Test. Poster presentation given at Vocab@Tokyo 2016, Meiji Gakuin University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Chujo, K., Anthony, L., and Oghigian, K. (2016, September). Data-Driven Learning of Word and Phrases by Low Proficiency EFL Learners through WebSCoRE. Poster presentation given at Vocab@Tokyo 2016, Meiji Gakuin University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Anthony, L., Schmitt, N., and Nation, P. (2016, September). Unanswered Questions in L2 Vocabulary Acquisition and Research Agendas for the Next 10 Years. Round table panel discussion given at Vocab@Tokyo 2016, Meiji Gakuin University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Chujo, K., Wakamatsu, H., Oghigian, K., Genung, M., Akasegawa, S., Utiyama, M., Anthony, L., and Nishigaki, C. (2016). 教育用例文コーパスSCORE 第二次開発 [The second phase of development on the sentence corpus of remedial English (SCORE) for Japanese EFLl learners]. 日本大学生産工学部研究報告B, 49, 19-44.
Conference Presentations (without proceedings)
- Hamada, H., Anthony, L., Chujo, K. (2016, October). 教育用例文を携帯端末で利用するWebSCoREの開発とそのユーザビリティ [Development and usability of WebSCoRE for use in educational applications on mobile phones]. Paper given at the 42nd Annual Convention of the Japan Association for Corpus English Studies (JAECS), Seijo University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Anthony, L. and Hardaker, C. (2016, September). Finding and visualizing love, hate, passion, and apathy on social media networks with FireAnt. Presentation given at The American Association for Corpus Linguistics (AACL) 2016, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, US.
- Anthony, L. and Baker, P. (2016, July). Evaluating the Effectiveness of Prototypical Text Detection in Teaching and Research: New Developments and Applications of ProtAnt. Paper presented at the 12th Teaching and Language Corpora Conference (TALC 12), Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany.
Invited Seminars and Intensive Courses
- Anthony, L. and Thompson, P. (2017, March). Laurence Anthony's Ant Tools. An invited workshop given at the Centre for Corpus Research, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK.
- Anthony, L. (2017, February) 技術英語ライティング研修会 [Training Seminar on Writing for Publication]. Invited seminar given at Seikagaku Corporation, Tokyo. Japan.
- Anthony, L. (2016, December). Teaching Research Writing through Data-Driven Learning. Teacher training seminar given at City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China.
- Anthony, L. (2016, November). A corpus-based perspective on the US presidential election through a FireAnt analysis of candidate social network interactions. Invited lecture given at the Centre for Corpus Research, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK.
- Anthony, L. (2016, September). 企業技術者に必要な英語力 [Mitsubishi Electric Corporation Summer Seminar on Scientific and Engineering Communication]. Invited seminar given at Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Kobe, Japan.
- Anthony, L. (2016, August). 技術英語表現と英語プレゼンテーションの実践テクニック [Techical English and English Presentation Techniques]. A one-day intensive seminar hosted by Johokiko. Co. Ltd., Tokyo, Japan).
- Anthony, L. (2016, April). 技術者・研究者のための英語プレゼンテーションの基本と実践 [English Presentation Principles and Applications for Engineers and Researchers]. A one-day intensive seminar hosted by the Technical Information Center, Tokyo, Japan.
- Anthony, L. (2016, April). Publishing in international journals: Successful strategies and common misconceptions. Invited presentation given at the National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Anthony, L. & Hardaker, C. (2016, March) Applications of FireAnt in forensic (corpus) linguistics: Identifying angels at Ashley Madison. Invited lecture given at UCREL corpus research group, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK.
- Anthony, L. & Michel, M. (2016, March). Introducing EyeChat: A data collection tool for eye-tracking computer mediated communication. Invited lecture given at UCREL corpus research group, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK.
- Anthony, L. (2016, February). Developing materials for the EFL classroom through model building and corpus analysis. Invited lecture given at Second Language Learning an d Teaching (SLLAT) Research Group, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK.
- Anthony, L. & Hardaker, C. (2016, February). FireAnt Launch Event: Filtering, Identifying, Reporting, and Exporting Social Media Data, ESRC Centre for Corpus Approaches to Social Science, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK.
Blogs and News
- Anthony, L. (2016, December). The 25th ESP Project Leader Profile. TESOL, US. Available at: http://blog.tesol.org/the-25th-esp-project-leader-profile-laurence-anthony/
Professional Activities in 2016/2017
- Rob Waring, Anthony, L., Charles Browne, and Tomoko Ishii (2016, September). Vocab@Tokyo Conference organizer. Meijigakuin University, Tokyo, Japan.
Society Journal Activities
- Editorial Board of the Studies in Corpus Linguistics book series. John Benjamin's. (2016-Present)
- Editorial Board of the Corpus Linguistics Research Journal (KACL) (2015-Present)
- Editorial Board of Taiwan International ESP Journal (2010-Present)
- Editorial Board of Journal of English Education (2012-Present)
- Editorial Board of Journal of Asia TEFL (2015-Present)
- Advisory Board of English as a Global Language Education (EaGLE) Journal (2013-Present)
- Advisory Board of JACET Awards and Publications Committee (2015-Present)
- Review Board of the National Research Foundation of South Africa (2015-Present)
- Program Committee of Big Data NLP 2016.
Membership in Professional Associations/Societies
- Japan Association for English Corpus Studies (JAECS)
- Japan Association of College English Teachers (JACET)
- Applied Linguistics
- Australian Review of Applied Linguistics
- International Journal of Corpus Linguistics
- Corpus Linguistics and Linguistic Theory
- English for Specific Purposes
- IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication
- IEEE Computer Society
- IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics - Part B
- Journal of English for Academic Purposes
- Journal of Information Science
- Reading in a Foreign Language
- Taiwan International ESP Journal
Advisory Roles/Contract Research
- Data-driven Learning in Research Publication for Research Students. City University of Hong Kong. (2015-2016)
- National Research Foundation of South Africa (NRF). (2015-2016)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC). (2015-2016)
- Ph.D. Dissertation External Examiner. Temple University. (2015-2016)
- Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology (Japan). External personnel advisor. (2010-2016)
- ALC Press (Japan). Technical consultant, distance learning course designer, and materials developer. (2008-present)
- Kose Corporation (Japan). Technical advisor. (2006-present)
- JIEM, Inc. (Japan). System for automatic scoring and correcting of English writing (2004-present)
Competitive Grants in 2016/2017
- Waseda University Grant for Special Research Projects. No. 2016K-184. プロトタイプテキスト検出ツール開発とテクニカルライティングへの応用 [Development of a tool for detection of prototype texts and application in technical writing]. 2016/04/01-2017/03/31. ANTHONY, Laurence (PI).
- Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B): No. 25284108. Development and Application of a DDL Platform for Multi-Language Parallel Corpora. CHUJO, Kiyomi (PI), ANTHONY, Laurence (CI). (2013-2017)
- The Queen's Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education (February 2016). Awarded to Lancaster University Centre for Corpus Approaches to Social Science (CASS).
- National Prize of the Japan Association of English Corpus Studies (英語コーパス学会 学会賞) (September 2012)
- L'Oreal Art and Science of Color Gold Prize (October 2005)
- AntConc: A freeware corpus analysis toolkit for concordancing and text analysis
- AntPConc: A freeware **parallel** corpus analysis toolkit for concordancing and text analysis.
- AntWordProfiler: A freeware word profiling program similar to Paul Nation's Range program but with more features.
- AntFileConverter: A freeware tool to convert PDF files into plain text for use in corpus tools like AntConc.
- AntMover: A freeware text structure (moves) analysis program.
- AntCLAWSGUI: A front-end interface to the CLAWS tagger developed at Lancaster University, UCREL.
- EncodeAnt: A freeware tool for detecting and converting character encodings.
- FireAnt: A freeware social media and data analysis toolkit.
- ProtAnt: A freeware text prototypicality analysis tool.
- SarAnt: A freeware batch search and replace tool.
- SegmentAnt: A freeware Japanese and Chinese segmenter (segmentation/tokenizing tool).
- TagAnt: A freeware Part-Of-Speech (POS) tagger built on TreeTagger (developed by Helmut Schmid).
- VariAnt: A freeware spelling VariAnt analysis program.
- WebParaNews: A web-based interface to the Japanese-English News Articles database of the National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT).
- ENEJE: A web-based interface to the ENEJE (English Native Edited Japanese Essays) Parallel Corpus.
- EXEMPRAES: A web-based interface to the EXEMPRAES (Exemplary Empirical Research Articles in English and Spanish) Corpus.
- CASEC G/GTS: A (commercial) learning environment for teaching grammar and vocabulary to EFL learners in Japan.
- ALC Text Toolkit: A concordance tool for assisting EFL learners in Japan with technical writing (distributed in an associated textbook.
- Japan: Measurement and Tool for the Evaluation of Compositions. (Patent Number: 4165898)
- Korea: Measurement and Tool for the Evaluation of Compositions. (Patent Number: 10-0932141)