|FUJII, Masatsugu (藤井 正嗣)
Professor of the Center for the English Language Education in Science and Engineering (CELESE)
|A.B. in Mathematics||Univ. of California, Berkeley, 1972|
|M.A. in Mathematics||Univ. of California, Berkeley, 1974|
|Advanced Management Program||Harvard Business School, 1999|
Research Areas and Interests
I am doing research on management communication in English for various business situations such as presentation, negotiation, meetings and speech. I am fundamentally interested in theory and practices of strategic communication, rather than simple techniques or unproven tactics.
I am doing research on how to develop global leaders. Based on my experience in global business for 30 years, I firmly believe effective global leaders need to have the following 3 skills:
- problem finding and solving skills
In global business, we always face new challenges. In order to cope with them effectively, global leaders must be able to proactively find and solve problems before they actually occur.
- basic knowledge and application skills of major MBA subjects
These are subjects such as marketing, accounting and finance, human resources and organization, strategy, vision and leadership. Global leaders must have basic knowledge and application skills of all these subjects across different functional areas to deal with specific business issues.
- effective communication skills
These are the skills global leaders need to be able to effectively communicate for specific purposes.
I am working on how to train future business leaders who are properly equipped with all these 3 essential skills.
I am doing research on how companies should globalize themselves to operate and compete effectively in cross-border economy.
Courses Taught at CELESE
- Communication Strategies (2012)
- Special Topics in Functional English: "MBA Basics in English" (2012)
- Workplace English: "Workplace Presentation" (First Semester, 2012), "Workplace Negotiation" (Second Semester, 2012)
- MBA Basics (Revised) (NHK Publishing, 2012)
- MBA Classrooms (Chukei Shuppan, 2008)
- English Communication Strategies (Nikko-Kikaku, 2007)
- Strategic Business Writing (DHC, 2006)
- English Expressions for Successful Speeches (Nikko-Kikaku, 2005)
- Useful English Expressions for Effective Meetings (Nikko-Kikaku, 2004)
- English Expressions for Successful Presentations (Nikko-Kikaku, 2003)
- Strategic English Presentation (DHC, 2003)
- Workplace English - Trading Companies (DHC, 2003)
- Advanced Management Program at Harvard Business School (DHC, 2002)
- MBA Basics in English (NHK Publishing, 2002)
- English Conversation - Good Expressions, Bad Expressions (Nihon Keizai Shimbun, 2001)
- New Business English Writing (Natsume Publishing, 2000)
- Getting to Yes (ALC Publishing, 1998)
Public/Civil Activities and Services
- Instructor for "Getting to Yes", NHK Educational TV (1997)
- Instructor for "MBA Basics in English", NHK Educational TV (2000 - 2001)
- Valedictorian, International Education Center (1970)
- Sankei Scholarship (1971)
- Putnam Mathematical Competition, National Competitor, University of California, Berkeley (1971)
- Teaching Assistant, University of California, Berkeley (1972 - 1974)
- Valedictorian, School of International Studies, International Education Center (1975)
Membership in Professional Associations/Societies
- Transcultural Management Society
- Institute for Transnational Human Resource Management
- Japan Academy of International Business Studies